Sunday, July 02, 2006

...My Feet on the Ground

Everyday as I check the blog's email for ANY emails from you or any comments, I check the blog as if I weren't the one posting all of the post or uploading the pictures to it. I guess I think that the "Blog Fairy" may have posted something on it while I slept. No such luck with a fairy, but great luck with Michelle Fields Pierce.
Michelle writes:
Like most of you, I can't believe it's been 20 years. It doesn't seem like we graduated yesterday, but 20 years?!

After graduating, I attended USM in Hattiesburg, MS. I was on a music track there and decided I didn't want to continue on in that field of study. I talked a good friend of mine from grade school, Heidi Burch (SHS class of '87), into moving to Disney World to work. We packed up and moved to Florida, eager to find great jobs and have fun. We found an apartment in Kissimmee, Florida--a short drive to the park. After a few months of handing out beverages at Epcot, I decided to work a little closer to home, so Sea World became my new employer. I worked as one of the animal educators, taking tourists on behind the scenes tours. By October, I was homesick and realized I missed the college atmosphere. So, I moved back to Louisiana and began attending SLU the following spring as a psychology major. After completing my degree, I pursued a M.A. in health (also at SLU). I moved to Dallas, Texas in the summer of '95 to work an internship at the American Heart Association. I enjoyed living and working in Texas and began searching for a permanent position. I met a flight attendant in my running group who informed me that her company (American Airlines) was in the process of hiring flight attendants. On a whim, I applied and went on an interview. I wasn't sure how I would complete my master's but I was curious about what the rest of the world was about and thought it would be a great experience to travel while finishing school. On November 10, 1995, at 7:00 p.m., I was flying to my new home in New York City. Living there was an incredible experience! I spent my time off at the NYC library frantically trying to complete the two projects necessary to fulfull the degree requirments. During the 9 years with the airline, I lived in NYC, Boston and San Francisco. On the morning of September 11th, I was on a flight departing from Newark to Dallas. I had just spent the evening prior in NYC. Like so many, my life drastically changed that day. I had spent time and worked with Boston-based crewmembers who you've all seen and read about. The events of 9/11 hit entirely too close to home for me. It helped me to re-prioritize my life and to appreciate the people in my life a great deal more. I knew then that it was time to keep my feet on the ground.

I enjoy reading, listening to music (I still play once in awhile), and jogging. I'm sure I will, once again, enjoy traveling by air. But, for now, I love roadtrips!

In 2002, I married Michael Pierce. We had developed a friendship over 9 years! We have a 17 month old boy, Brendan Michael Pierce. I now teach health and wellness classes part-time at Collin County Community College in Plano, Texas. I am also a freelance writer/photographer. Although being a mom keeps me on the run, I hope to eventually publish some of the projects I'm currently working on.
Thanks Michelle! It so good to catch up with you.

Brooke, if you are still reading...you've had the most request for me to forward email addresses to you, but I don't have your email address to send you the requested information. ?????
Remember......send all updated information to nhsclassof87reunion@yahoo.com Please let me know what can be posted on the blog. I'll only put what you say is okay.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a blast, Heidi! Hey...great job on the SHS site...I've enjoyed reading it!

Thursday, July 20, 2006 5:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home